So awhile back, I was nominated for a Liebster Award. This is very fitting because the word Liebster in German means dearest. This award is passed around the blogging community as a sort of chain letter. These sorts of posts are important because it allows the blogger to be seen in the blogging community (as they were nominated by other bloggers) as well as the opportunity to pay it forward and also recognize bloggers you follow.
I was nominated some time ago and only now have had the opportunity to actually thank His Travel and Work Reporter for nominating me and I will do my best to pay it forward. I recommend you check out his site. He’s a fellow traveler who also gives career advice!
How does this work? Well, first you start with 11 random facts about yourself
1. This blog is written as an open letter to my family. Most have barely traveled outside the US of A and I hope they will brave the trip to visit me in Germany one day. I try to write with them in mind so that if/when they make that leap, they will be prepared:-D
2. I can’t handle heights; I get serious vertigo unless I’m in an enclosed space.
3. Where I derive the most joy in life is by writing my stories. I seriously do hope that someday I can actually make a career out of it. Any other job I do is a means to pay for my passion.
4. In college, I was terrible in science (I’m a Microbiologist by trade). I mostly passed with a C average.
5. In the real world, I rock at science!
6. I first started learning German because every time I would go to Luxembourg all my friends would start talking in German around me and I would get frustrated because I didn’t understand them.
7. My first real travel experience was when I was 13 and my folks decided to send me to Peru by myself because it was the only way I would really learn Spanish (essentially throw me in the deep end).
8. I love to cook but it’s very hard to cook for just one person. I only know how to cook enough for an army.
9. As you may have noticed, I love my little dog Abner more than words could possibly describe.
10. I have always been a sucker for a good story, regardless of medium. This is why I watch a lot of TV or movies or play certain video games or reread tons of books. They’re always the ones that I feel have the most engaging stories.
11. I always carry a notebook with me because I get the weirdest ideas at the most inopportune times so I have to be able to write them down before I forget.
Next I answer the 11 questions posed by my awarding blogger:
1. How did you come up with your blog name?
Back in 2011, I decided to come up with a blog to give my family an opportunity to follow me on my adventures in the UK by myself. I wanted the title to be simple but also to be all me. My name is Marisa but most of the Latin side of the family calls me Mari. When they are talking about me to someone else, I am referred to as La Mari. I thought it was fitting to refer to myself as such since I was talking about me to other people.
2. What is your favorite post from your blog?
I actually don’t know what would be my favorite post. I guess my all-time favorite is the Road trip Around Ireland. I learned so much in that one day and I even wrote a short story about it (soon be published on Trekity.com).
3. What are your top 3 favorite foods?
I love the spinach and basil pesto I learned to make from my mother (honestly, anything Peruvian falls under number 1). I will never tire of spicy tuna sushi (especially when I find the right one) and there is always a special place in my heart for pizza rolls.
4. What is on the top of your bucket list or at least the thing you want to do that is on the top of your mind right now
At the moment, I want to see the Northern Lights. Thorsten and I have already discussed it and we’re going to make it happen.
5. What is your dream travel destination
Since we have had such a terrible snowpocalypse, I want to return to San Pedro, Belize. It is a tiny isolated island where it’s warm, the water is beautiful, the second largest coral reef in the world and all the fruity alcoholic drinks my little body can handle.
6. If you have a choice to live in a different city tomorrow, what city would it be?
Actually I do have a choice, it may be not tomorrow but I am leaving for Ravensburg. But the goal for us is actually Ueberlingen because it is right off Lake Constance where we will be able to see the Alps from our home.
7. How would you describe your hometown to someone who has never been there before?
Indianapolis is one of the friendliest cities you will ever visit. It is not a farm town like most in Indiana but an oasis of ever growing culture. It may not be up to snuff like the bigger cities but it is definitely trying. There are several gems, but like precious stones you have to know where to find them. A local would be a great help 😉
8. If you win a million dollars, how are you going to spend it?
I would travel with my whole family and show them the world the way I see it.
9. If you were a country, what country would you be and why?
Ireland. I think it’s such a beautiful island with wonderful people. It also is a mystical place of old magic. These are all attributes I would love to embody as a story teller.
10. If you were given the chance to pick a talent, what would it be and why?
I wish I had the ability to lay golden eggs. Then I would have a good source of income and I can spend the rest of my time writing.
11. What is your favorite quote, preferably connected to travel?
“Not all those who wander are lost.” – J. R. R. Tolkien
Now I nominate 11 bloggers for this same award. You should choose people with less than 200 followers but I feel some of these people deserve mentions anyway.
1. First Genau Richtig – This writer is a big reason why I have my little ‘learning language’ segment. But their major concentration is on learning German. I highly recommend that you follow them.
2. Ed Mooney Photography – this guy takes gorgeous photographs around Kildare and it reminds me of my UK trip.
3. Hardcovers and Heroines – One of the first blogs I started to follow. Her site is more writing than travel based but she has some delightful ideas. My favorite is her ‘marry, date, or dump’ segments.
6. In the Garden of Eva – Another fellow writer who gives very candid posts on the nitty gritty on writing.
7. Perpetual Vagabond – another writer/photographer/traveler. Great insight! Beautiful photographs!
8. Hometown Unicorn – Fellow blogger who is an aspiring craft maker, book worm, and photographer. This space is her diary and project scrapbook. Also, I love the name of her blog.
9. One Room with a View – a site where you can find cool reviews written by different writers
10. Foreign Wanders – Traveler and photographer. Follow Harrison on his adventures!
And number 11. Maija Harrington – she is currently writing a book on her adventures with her own pugs. As a fellow pug owner I totally relate to some of her stories!!!! I highly recommend a read if you love pugs as much as we do 😀
Phew! What a list! I hope you can visit some of these sites, you’ll be glad you did :-D Next up I go to each and every person and let them know that you have nominated them and so that they, too, can pay it forward and answer my 11 questions:
Why did you start your blog?
What is your favorite destination and why?
Who is your favorite author and why?
What is your most prized possession?
What is your favorite quote and by whom?
What is your favorite post (please provide link!)?
Who is your inspiration and why?
Classical Music or Rock ‘n Roll?
What do you choose to do as ‘play?’
What is your biggest challenge in blogging?
What would you do today if you knew you could not fail?
So that’s it, ya’ll! That’s the Liebster Award! I hope you enjoyed this little journey in the blogosphere with me. For those of you non-bloggers out there: you’re more than welcome to answer my 11 questions as well! Don’t be shy; I would love to hear your thoughts!