1. When did you know writing was what you wanted to do?
Well, funny story, I was probably around the age of 11 or 12 when I realized I wanted to become a writer–a songwriter to be exact. I was listening to a song and was so moved by the beat that I said, “I want to do that!” So, eventually, my writing progressed into novel writing, but not until my early 20’s.
2. Where do you get your inspiration for your books?
Life. Every. Day. Life. I create stories that feel like home: characters you feel like you know and themes that are relate-able no matter age.
3. What is your writing Kryptonite?
Boredom. If I’m bored, my writing suffers. I find that getting out of the house and finding something creative to do helps the writing process along.
4. As a writer, what would you choose as your mascot/avatar/spirit animal?
Ooh this is a good one! Actually, my spirit animal is a huge inspiration for my next book. You will have to wait on that answer, because I’m afraid I will give too much away!
5. What is your favorite childhood book?
Peter Pan. It is timeless.
6. If your favorite character came into our world, who would it be and where would you take them to dinner?
7. If you had to give up either snacks and drinks during writing sessions, or music, which would you find more difficult to say goodbye to?
Drinks.I always need a coffee (or a glass of wine).
8. Do you feel like it’s most important to have A) Strong characters B) Mind-blowing Plot twists or C) Epic settings?
9. Do you feel like you’d be a better writer if you wore sparkly socks during your writing sessions?
If the sparkly socks were made of magic, then, yes!
10. Tell us a little bit about your next project (or current project).
I am multi-tasking at the moment (because I can never focus on just one thing): I am finishing up The Chase (YA, coming of age novel scheduled for release in May); The sequel to The Taming of Lions (Adult Literary Fiction) and a top-secret project that will completely change my current writing path/voice going forward. Let’s just say, it’s been 10 years in the making and I am so excited for it!
1. What do you think about when you’re alone in your car?
I go through my mental to-do list or listen to music (so I don’t have to think lol).
2. What’s your favorite ’90s jam?
Do I have to pick just one?! I love them all, but I am a sucker for anything TLC.
3. You’ve been given an elephant. You can’t give it away or sell it. What would you do with the elephant?
Keep it. I have enough land and would open up my own zoo. I always wanted a giraffe, so, hopefully someone gives that to me next lol.
4. How many times does it take for you to listen to a song that you love before you actually hate it instead?
2 or 3.
5. If you could pick one food to eat for the rest of your life, what would you choose and why?
Cinnamon Rolls. LOVE them.
6. What would you do if you found a penguin in the freezer?
Well, I would be like “Why do I keep getting all of these animals?!” And then bring him outside to my newly built zoo.
7. If you were a tree, what kind of tree would you be and why?
I always loved weeping willows. I have no reason other than they just have good energy.
8. If you had to be shipwrecked on a deserted island, but all your human needs—such as food and water—were taken care of, what two items would you want to have with you?
I would need a notebook and pen (I am assuming a laptop is out of the question) and books to read. I would also need a good mascara. I may be alone, but I still have to look good 🙂
9. You’re a new addition to the crayon box. What color would you be and why?
Pink. It’s playful.
10. Would you rather fight one horse-sized duck, or 100 duck-sized horses?
Well, a duck-sized horse sounds too cute to fight. So…I will go with the horse-sized duck. I would lose, but it’s all in the name of cuteness.
About the Author:
Website, vlog, blog and newsletter coming soon!